Gimme that Rice. All of it.
Brown, white, jasmine, basmati... we love all the rice! It took us a while to learn how to cook the perfect rice (in big batches too) but after a lot of failed batches and rice tears we finally cracked it! Which is great because we eat rice all. day. long. Rice and egg, rice and curry, fried rice, rice with sambal.. mmmm we're getting ourselves hungryy
Here's our quick guide to making the perfect rice, without a rice cooker.
First and foremost rinse yo rice. Either run it through a sieve until the water is clear or add water to your pan with the rice, swirl it around and pour out the water and then repeat a few times! This removes any impurities and excess starch to stop your rice getting stodgy
This is a delicate little rice that should be handled with a little TLC to stop it turning to mush. If made right, this rice will be fluffy with a slightly sticky texture so the grains clump together a little - super helpful when eating with chopsticks!
The sturdiest of all rices. It's dry, firm and holds its shape when cooked. Unlike Jasmine, this rice does not clump together. This makes it the perfect candidate for the likes of coconut rice and fried rice - at least we think so anyway!
The method for cooking Jasmine and Basmati rice is the same:
- Measure out 100ml of rice per person and then add to a saucepan with 130ml of water per person and a pinch of salt (So if you're cooking for 2 people, it will be 200ml of rice with 260ml water).
- Bring to boil over a medium heat, then turn heat right down low and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is cooked and there's no liquid left in the pan - don't stir or open lid whilst cooking!
- Use a fork to gently fluff up the Jasmine Rice
Obviously the healthiest option here but don't hold that against it! This rice is filling and has strong nutty flavour to it. Great for all occasions!
- Measure out 100ml of rice per person
- Cover and soak in water for half an hour
- Drain the water and then add to a saucepan with 130ml of water per person and a pinch of salt
- Bring to boil then turn the heat down and cover with a lid, simmer for 15 minutes until cooked :)
Our signature coconut rice! Super simple for you to make and enjoy at home :)
Ingredients (serves 4):
400ml Basmati Rice, rinsed
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
1 x Pandan Leaf, knotted
2 x sticks lemongrass, bruised
1 x pinch salt
- Put the rice, coco milk, water and salt in a saucepan and mix to combine
- Stick the lemon grass into the rice and place the pandan leaf in a knot on top
- Bring to boil over medium heat, then turn the heat right down low and cover with lid
- Simmer for 15 minutes until rice is cooked
Hopefully this has been helpful .. once you've nailed rice, your culinary opportunities are endless! .. as long as you like rice.. but who doesn't??
RICE FO LIFE.